Wednesday, May 6, 2020

191. Marius à Javert


hours & minutes

après minuit,
your call
dings
several times in my
barely lit
apartment

smiling in spite of myself –
I check and answer
other messages,
stalling before I answer yours
yet –
out of fear, and

excitement

the purple & white
square
glows sunset amidst
notifications

I check the little litany of
messages
once,
twice,
thrice -
still in
queenly
defiance

your photos
illuminate my screen
once more –
I imagine us together
by that twilit
lake, your
dark eyes smiling
into
mine

the first
touch of your
tender yet
strong
hand

hours –
minutes –
past midnight
I am ablaze and
afire with
pangs of new love?
infatuation?

or is it precisely
the mystery
that keeps us –
me –
enthralled?

is it simply
friendship you want?
my own crazed
heart spinning
imaginations and
prophetic
fantasies?

I think of at the love
my partner
and I
share

finally, a
deep and
trusting bond
safe and perhaps
not so
intoxicating

isn’t all love
a thrill at first?
perhaps I only seek
these virtual
sparks
which will always
dissipate

I muse on
love and
faith
in the darkness,
on options

and time seems
such a feeble
foe
to
intensity

buzz
buzz

goes my
phone in the
dark

beckoning,
taunting

innocent
conversation,

I tell

myself

April 24, 2020
Montréal, QC

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Art, to recognize, must be,
Another Art to Praise.

- Emily Dickinson